What is the tool?
According to Poll Everywhere, “On the surface, Poll Everywhere is a simple application that works well for live audiences using mobile devices like phones. People participate by visiting a fast mobile-friendly web page for your event, sending text messages, or using Twitter. Instructions are displayed on-screen. The poll that is embedded within the presentation or web page will update in real time. Advanced uses include texting comments to a presentation, texting questions to a presenter, web voting, and SMS interactivity in print, radio, and TV.”
How could you use it in the classroom?
- pre-learning check
- Check for understanding after a difficult lesson
- Do Now! activity when students enter class (ex: What did you do this weekend? How do you feel about the upcoming test?)
- Make classroom decisions (ex: What should we name our class pet? How much more time do you need on the paper?)Assign as a homework assignment (ex: Answer the poll by midnight)
- Keep track of student progress (ex: Text “Done” to the poll when you are finished
How does it support the curriculum?
Poll everywhere supports the curriculum by enhancing and developing assessment. Poll Everywhere creates an opportunity for teachers to incorporate digital citizenship right into the classroom by allowing students to participate right from their own personal device such as; a phone or students can participate through computers, I-Pads, etc. that the school has. With digital citizenship becoming part of the curriculum it is an excellent and easy way to enforce digital citizenship and asses students at the same time.
How might it be used to support digital citizenship?
- incorporates technology into the classroom
- using the internet safely
- online presence
- expanding learning by directly connecting technology and learning/school